Abbreviations from A to M
- ACID = Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability is a set of properties of database transactions intended to guarantee data validity despite errors, power cuts and other disasters.
- ALU = Arithmetic Logic Unit is the part of a CPU that does basic arithmetic like adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and bit-shifting.
- API = Application Programmers Interface.
- ASU = Active Service Unit normally consists of 4 combatants and is often used by terrorist cells or by special forces because such units are almost impossible to infiltrate.
- BBC = British Broadcasting Corporation.
- BIOS = Basic Input Output System.
- BTU = British Thermal Unit.
- CEO = Chief Executive Officer.
- CFO = Chief Financial Officer.
- CGI = Common Gateway Interface or Computer Generated Images.
- CIA = Central Intelligence Agency.
- CPU = Central Processing Unit is the part of a computer that does all the processing.
- CTO = Chief Technical Officer.
- DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service attack is where websites are flooded with so many requests that they drop off the web.
- DVD = Digital Versatile Disk.
- DOD = Department Of Defence.
- DOJ = Department Of Justice.
- EEE = Embrace, Extend and Extinguish is a technical strategy that starts by being compatible with a new technology, and then to extend its monopoly by creating incompatible extensions and using them to push out the original competitors.
- ELOC = Equity Line of Credit Allows you to use a financial asset (property) like a credit card.
- EPROM = Electrically Programmable Read Only Memory.
- FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation is the domestic intelligence and security service of the US and its principal federal law enforcement agency. It's also a TV program.
- FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt is disinformation marketing strategy designed to discredit competitors but stops just short of any legal liability. Examples: Windows v OS2, Microsoft v Linux.
- FTP = File Transfer Protocol is used by two computers to transfer files between them.
- GNI = Gross National Income is the total amount of money earned by businesses and individuals in one year.
- GPU = Graphic Processing Unit is the part of a computer that does all the 3D graphics like rendering and shading.
- GPS = Global Positioning System.
- HTML = Hyper Text Markup Language is the language of web pages.
- HR = Human Resources.
- I2P = Invisible Internet Project is a smaller version of TOR.
- IBM = International Business Machines is a large American corporation that used to build the first PCs many years ago.
- IBM = It's Being Mended referrers to the belief that IBM's equipment wasn't very reliable.
- IBM = It's Bloody Marvellous Referrers to the opposite belief.
- IMF = International Monetary Fund.
- IMF = Impossible Mission Force is a fictional organisation in the movie franchise "Mission:Impossible" starring Tom Cruise.
- IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity is a unique ID number allocated to mobile phones.
- IMSI = International Mobile Subscriber Identity is a unique ID number allocated to mobile phone users.
- JIT = Just In Time is an inventory management method in use by some warehouses whereby materials, goods, and labour are scheduled to arrive exactly when needed in the production process to reduce costs by keeping only enough inventory on hand to meet immediate production needs.
- JPEG = Joint Pictures Experts Group
- MI5 = Military Intelligence 5 .
- MI6 = Military Intelligence 6 .
- MOD = Ministry of Defence is the UK government department for all forms of defence like the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
(C) 2007 ~ 2021 SI7 - Stats