Overstock can referrer to an organisation of the same name or about dealing with the costly effects of merchandise over-supply. They often own, rent one or more warehouses to store their goods.
- Overstock.com is an American internet retailer headquartered in Midvale, Utah, near Salt Lake City in the shadows of Wasatch Mountains. In 1997 Robert Brazell created D2: Discounts Direct but in 1999 Patrick M. Byrne bought it and renamed it to Overstock.com. Since then they have evolved from a fledgling startup to a billion-dollar online retailer as a result of a hard-working and creative team. Overstock actively supports several charities and offers carbon-neutral shipping. They are a fur-free and ivory-free retailer.
- Overstock can also refer to any form of merchandise (consumer goods like furniture, cloths, TVs, DVD players, etc) that haven't been purchased and are currently in storage - often at great cost to the current owners. JIT (Just In Time) is another solution at the other extreme but it, also, can have many downsides - especially when things get unpredictable.
Many organisations have been created or adapted to solve this problem. Overstock is an obvious one but many others are coming on-line. Many seem to be in the US, but other locations will appear soon :-
- Overstock as mentioned above. Annual revenue: $3.3B
- WeBuyExcess strives to be the leader in asset recovery and inventory solutions for SMes. They have acquired 30 years of experience in reverse logistics and corporate liquidation. Their expert staff have the knowledge and ability to evaluate, advise, and purchase inventories of any size.
Their HQ is in New Jersey about 25 minutes from New York. They operate out of two locations, Clifton and Morganville USA.
- Merchandise USA is a wholesale merchandise closeout liquidator. They started over 35 years ago. Their distribution warehouse in Chicago, IL has 100,000 square feet filled with overstock clearance inventory. They specialise in buying closeout, excess, overstock, liquidation and discontinued products. They are wholesale liquidators of toys, housewares, gifts, home decor, novelties, school supplies, juvenile products, party goods, furniture, and all other wholesale items.
(C) 2007 ~ 2021 SI7 - Stats